https://www.simplyghee.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Roasted-Fennel-Garlic-and-Potato-Soup-with-croutons-scaled.jpg 1920 2560 gheegals //www.simplyghee.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/simply-ghee-logo_rev3o-1.png gheegals2020-09-30 19:49:362021-06-19 17:00:59Roasted Fennel and Garlic Soup
Roasted Fennel and Garlic Soup
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. Original Ghee - can use Black Garlic Ghee; Heirloom Salt + Pepper Ghee, or Turmeric + Black Pepper Ghee
- 2 medium leeks - sliced white and light green parts
- 1 medium/large fennel bulb - cut into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 5-6 cups broth - veggie or chicken
- 2 large Yukon potatoes - peeled and diced into 1” pieces
- 3 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Teas. good salt
- 1 Teas. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Clean up the garlic bulbs by trimming the base off and cutting some of the tops off the garlic. Place whole bulbs or individual cloves into a small baking dish and drizzle olive oil all over. Roast for at least 20 minutes or till the cloves look a bit wilted and the garlic is golden and soft. Remove from oven and allow it to cool before squeezing out each clove. Be careful – they’re HOT!
- While garlic is in oven melt 2 tablespoons of ghee and toss with fresh fennel. Add salt and pepper to taste and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 20-30 minutes or till the fennel is translucent and starting to brown. The browner it is the more depth it will give the soup. Remove from heat.
- In a small stock pot, melt the remainder of ghee. Add fennel seeds and when they begin to release their aroma and turn slightly golden, add the leeks and potatoes.
- Sauté till leeks are somewhat translucent, then add the broth, roasted garlic, roasted fennel, bay leaves and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the fresh herbs, salt and pepper and continue to simmer till the veggies are somewhat soft.
- Remove bay leaves. Blend in small batches in a blender or use an immersion blender to puree the soup till its smooth. Return to sauce pan and reheat. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls and top with homemade croutons.
Can use any of our savory ghee products in place of Original Ghee. To Make Croutons: Pre-heat the oven to 375F. Slice your bread of choice and cut into 1/4” cubes. Melt 2 tablespoons of any ghee and add dried herbs of your chose to complement the soup’s flavors. Add salt and pepper and mix everything into the bread cubes. Spread out on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on crunchy you want them. Remove from oven and cool. When using dried herbs vs: fresh, the rule of thumb measurement is 1/3 dried of what you're using fresh. In this recipe use 1 teaspoon dried vs. a tablespoon fresh! Of course everyone's palate is different so season to your tastes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!