Place rinsed, soaked peas into a pan with the filtered water.
Stir in the turmeric, curry powder and cayenne.
Over medium heat, bring to boil and then reduce heat and cover partially. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until all the water has evaporated. Peas should be tender and beginning to disintegrate. If too thick, slowly add more water for desired consistency.
In a small fry pan, heat 1 tablespoon ghee.
Add the fennel, coriander and cumin seeds along with the shallot and sauté until the seeds release their aroma and the shallots are lightly brown. Set aside.
Stir the cooked seeds, shallots, salt, pepper and remaining ghee into the split peas.
Serve with white or brown basmati rice. When rice is done, stir in Turmeric + Black Pepper Ghee and season with salt and pepper to taste.
1. Rinse the beans under cool running water. Check and discard any stones or other debris. Drain.
2. Transfer to the saucepan and cover with about 2 inches of water.
3. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Cook the beans for 1 minute, and then remove the pot from the heat.
4. Cover with a lid and let the beans to soak in the warm water for 1 hour.
5. Drain the beans into a colander. Rinse and begin to cook according to your recipe