https://www.simplyghee.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Old-Fashion-Oatmeal-Ginger-Cookies-scaled.jpg 2560 1920 gheegals //www.simplyghee.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/simply-ghee-logo_rev3o-1.png gheegals2020-07-14 20:34:322021-06-16 16:10:06Old Fashion Oatmeal Ginger Cookies
Old Fashion Oatmeal Ginger Cookies
This recipe calls for muscle and not a mixer. You will be blending by hand honey!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour - Einkorn is good
- 1 Teas. salt
- 1/2 Teas. baking soda
- 1 Teas. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted Honey Ghee or Original Ghee
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 large egg + 1 large yoke
- 2 Teas. vanilla extract
- 3 cups old fashion rolled oats
- 1 cup crystalized ginger or chewy ginger candy - cut into pieces
- Make sure the oven rack is in the middle and preheat oven to 375. Line 2 rimmed cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, salt and baking soda together in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in an 8-inch skillet over medium heat and stir occasionally till the foaming subsides. Continue to cook for about 2 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan constantly with a heat-resistant spatula until the milk solids are dark golden brown and the butter has a nutty aroma.
- Put butter into a larger bowl, scraping the skillet with spatula and stir in the cinnamon and ground ginger.
- Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar and melted ghee and whisk or blend with a wooden spoon till combined. Add the egg and yoke and vanilla; whisk until the mixture is smooth. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir in the flour mixture until fully combined, about 1-2 minutes. Add the oats and ginger (or raisins) if using and stir until evenly distributed. Mixture will be very stiff.
- Divide the dough into 20 or so portions, each 2-3 tablespoons. With damp hands, roll into dough balls and place on a cookie sheet with 2” between them. Press them down into about a 2 – 2.5” disk.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time for 5 minutes and then turn the sheet around halfway. Bake for up to another 5 minutes or until cookies are set and lightly browned. Centers should be soft.
- Let cookies cool on the tray on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove with a metal spatula and cool completely on a wire rack.
Enjoy plain or with ice cream, nut butters, lemon curd, or spread with some ghee. Options: For Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Cookies, omit the ground ginger and candies. Increase cinnamon to 1 tablespoon and add 1 cup of raisins. Learn more about Einkorn flour and why it is great to use in recipes in this article on Dr. Axe's website.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!